weeds_banner cropped

Drivers Licences/DMV

Drivers Licenses

The Drivers License Examiner visits Choteau every Tuesday and Friday of each month.  Hours are 9:30 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. and 1:00 p.m. – 3:30 p.m., located in the basement of the Teton County Courthouse.

If you are renewing a Montana Driver’s License, Montana ID or getting a Duplicate license, you do not need an appointment but it is highly recommended. Any testing, out of State licenses, or new IDs will require an appointment. To schedule an appointment you can call 1-406-444-1772 or visit the Montana Motor Vehicle Division website.

Department of Motor Vehicles

The Motor Vehicle Department provides filing of titles and registration of all vehicles and equipment within Teton County, including collection and distribution of taxes and fees.

If you are stopped for any reason while driving and do not have a valid registration and license, you are subject to fines and vehicle impoundment. New residents may use a valid driver’s license and vehicle registration from their former state for up to 30 days. At any time during the 30 days they may turn them in for Montana registrations. It is unlawful to operate a motor vehicle in the State of Montana without valid vehicle liability insurance policy and certificate of self-insurance or posted indemnity.

For more motor vehicle information you can visit the Montana Motor Vehicle Division website.

If you have any questions or concerns about your vehicle registration, please contact the Motor Vehicle Department at 406-466-2694. The Motor Vehicle Department can be reached through email at:


Registering an out-of-state car in Montana

If you are moving from another state, please register your vehicles within 30 days after you establish residency in Montana, or before your out-of-state registration expires, whichever comes first. In order to register your vehicle you will need to provide us with the Certificate of Title. If the Certificate of Title to your vehicle is being held by a lien holder, the Motor Vehicle Department will provide you with a 40 day permit. This will allow the Certificate of Title to be transferred to a Montana Title and then returned to your lien holder.

Renewing Montana plates

License plates are issued to the registrants. The plates are not transferable between individuals, such as on a sale of the vehicle to another person, but the registrants may transfer their plates to their replacement vehicles. Such transfer of plates between vehicles owned by the same person must be done through the Motor Vehicle Department. Motorized vehicles require two plates at all times, except motorcycles, which require only a rear plate.
A renewal decal that will make your license plate current will be issued each year after the fees are paid. If you keep your address updated, a courtesy renewal notice will be mailed directly to you from the State of Montana. Nevertheless, if none is received, each driver is still responsible for timely registration renewal. If your registration receipt that an expiration date, you have until the last day of the following month to renew your registration.
We require proof of receipt of IRS Form 2290 at the time of renewing the registration on trucks that have a Gross Vehicle Weight of 55,000 or more.

Personalized Plates

If you would like to have personalized license plates, they are available to you for an additional fee. Unique options are possible using your choice of up to seven numbers and letters, providing the combination is not offensive or in bad taste, and has not already been issued to someone else. The initial cost is $35 for plate manufacture and then $10 annually in addition to the normal registration fees.

Available Specialty Plates

For more information, please contact your local county Treasurer’s office.

New Registrations, Missing Plates or Decals

New vehicle purchasers may obtain a 40-day sticker from the Department of Motor Vehicle. You must present a bill of sale or singed and notarized title from the previous owner at the time you apply for a sticker. If you have lost a plate or decal, get a new issue from the Department of Motor Vehicle. Reporting the loss to the police may also be appropriate.


The Teton County Motor Vehicle Department accepts cash, personal checks and money orders made out to Teton County in the exact amount of your registration. Please do not send cash through the mail. Charge cards and debit cards are accepted.  A 3.99% convenience fee is charged.

Privacy Preference Center